43221 Darlington, Queen Elizabeth

43221 Darlington, Queen Elizabeth

Wednesday 2 February 2011

Font Research

In order to ensure that my magazine shares the same professional qualities of a rock magazine, it is vitally important that I use suitable fonts. It is vitally important that I conduct research on fonts as people can also identify themselves with a magazine through the use of fonts just as much as the models on the front cover. For example if I was to use a Font that did not share the qualities of a Rock Magazine, it's likely that the potential reader would not be as tempted to purchase the magazine as they could not identify themselves with the magazine, alternatively the potential reader may mistake the magazine for a different genre if the font looked as though it did not share the qualities of a Rock Magazine.  Therefore I am going to conduct research into possible fonts I could use for my final product, using the website: "www.dafont.com"

The stereotypical aspects of fonts you would expect to see on a Rock Magazine Masthead are:

  • Distortion
  • Large in size
  • Bold 
  • Often in Caps
The reason why these aspects would be found in a font for a masthead, is because they all work in unison to construct a representation of the target audience, that they are: Lively, Loud, Like to make a statement/lasting impression on people and tend to edge away through the mainstream music industry which is reinforced through the use of distortion in the font.

The stereotypical aspects of fonts you would expect to see on a Rock Magazine Sell lines are:

  • Large in size
  • Clear to read 
  • Often in Caps
The reason why these stereotypical aspects would be found in a font for a skyline is because: The large size, in caps works in unison with the fact that it's clear to read which allows the reader to identify the sell lines which will potentially encourage them to purchase the magazine.

The stereotypical aspects of fonts you would expect to see on a Rock Magazine's article text are:

  • Basic
  • Clear
  • Simple to read
The reason why these stereotypical aspects would be found in article text is because the text needs to be clear to read in order for the potential reader to enjoy the magazine. Although generally all magazines need to have clear basic fonts for this reason, it is still important that I find a suitable font for my final product.

It is also a common feature that the same fonts are used throughout the magazine including the Content's page. This therefore means that i should use no more than four founts, because if I was to use more than four fonts the magazine would look very "Busy" and it may therefore be unappealing which as a consequence may put the potential reader off from purchasing future issues.

Potential Fonts for My Masthead:
As stated above, this font is called "Capture It" I particularly like this font due to the fact it has the distorted effect which I wish to include in my final product, as a distorted masthead is usually a stereotypical characteristic of a Rock Magazine due to the connotations it holds which is mentioned above. I also think that this font shares many similar qualities of a Rock Magazine. 
Therefore, If I was to use "Capture It" for my Masthead, my Masthead would look something like this. I am pleased with how it looks as i think it will easily stand out making my magazine recognisable. 
As stated above this font is called "You Are Loved". I have considered choosing this font for my Masthead as again, it shares similar qualities to Rock Magazines which are published today. Again it has the distorted effect which I particularly like and wish to include in my final product. 
Therefore, If I was to use "You Are Loved" for my Masthead it would look something like this. I don't think I like this font as much as "Capture It" as I think "Capture It" is a lot easier to read and it looks clearer and more professional than "You Are Loved".
Therefore my research for my Masthead has allowed me to conclude that I am going to use the font: "Capture It" as my Masthead. 

Potential Fonts for My Sell lines:
The font above is called "Kroftsmann". I have considered using this font for my sell lines as: it is large, it stands out and it is clear and simple to read. Which are vitally important aspects to consider when deciding what font to use for a sell line, as they need to stand out and be easy to read so the potential reader knows what will be in the magazine which makes the reader feel as though they're getting their value for money. 
The font above is called "Bombardier". I have considered using this font for my sell lines for the main reasons which were stated for "Kroftsmann". The font shares the typical aspects of a sell line, again it is: easy to read, clear and it would stand out on the front cover. Which again would ensure that the reader would be able to identify the sell lines which again, makes the reader feel as though they're getting value for money. 
I have concluded that I am going to use "Kroftsmann" for my sell lines as I think it looks more professional compared to "Bombardier". I also think the appearance of "Kroftsmann" looks as though it would look more appropriate on a Rock Magazine's front cover than "Bombardier" would.  
Article Text
For the article text in my Double Page Spread and written text on my contents page I am going to use the font "Verdana". I have decided to use the font for my text as it's clear to read and it doesn't look "Busy". A clear, easy font is vital to use in article text as it looks professional and if I was to use a font that was difficult to read, it would put the potential reader off from reading the magazine and this would therefore make the audience feel as though purchasing the magazine was a waste of money and the reader may therefore be put off from purchasing future issues of the magazine.
Conclusion
After conducting font research, I have decided that the fonts I am going to use in my final product are as follows: 
  • "Capture It" for my Masthead
  • "Kroftsmann"for my Sell lines
  • Verdana for my Article Text




No comments:

Post a Comment