43221 Darlington, Queen Elizabeth

43221 Darlington, Queen Elizabeth

Thursday 27 January 2011

Photography Test Shoots

In order to gain inspiration for how my models should be composed for my final product; I conducted a photography test shoot in a studio setting. I decided to use a general even split of males and females for models because my prior research to the Rock and Indie genre concluded that the general audience for these genres are an even split between males and females. Therefore I used an even split for my models so that it would appeal to both genders.



I used a group shot here, which would be likely to appear in a Double Page Spread. I positioned the models so that if it was to be seen in a double page spread it would be easy for the reader to acknowledge which member of the band takes up the limelight and is therefore the lead singer. I decided to compose my models in this way as prior research had concluded that: In a Rock/Indie magazine, the photos are composed so that the singer is either centrally framed or dominating the foreground is a regular occurrence. Therefore, I challenged this aspect as it is a traditional aspect and by doing so, it would make it easier for the target audience to indentify with the magazine. Eyeline match has also been used so that the reader would feel a direct connection between themselves and the band. This therefore makes the reader feel as though they are personally associated with the band, this therefore increases the chances of the reader wanting to continue reading the article.


Here I used a shot with two models which would either appear in a contents page or a DPS. I decided to pose my models in this way as it connotes that they are: lively, like to have fun and don't take themselves entirely seriously which are the traditional aspects of members of a Rock/Indie band. I decided to compose my models in this particular way as it allows the reader to acknowledge who is the more dominating member of the band. Eyeline match is used between the model who is holding the other model, so that the reader feels as though they can be personally connected.



Here, I used a two shot in medium close up. It is likely to appear in a DPS or a contents page. I positoned one of my models on the left and slighty more towards the foreground, as this would connote that he is the lead singer and takes up most of the media attention and limelight. However the facial expression connotes that he is still reserved and is maybe too shy about being in the limelight. The second model on the rights eyeline would match the reader's which again creates a personal connection. The serious facial expression connotes that he takes his music seriously and views music as a way of a life. This connotation is generally a stereotypical aspect of those associated with a rockband.


This shot is a group shot. It is likely to appear in a DPS. I decided to challenge the traditional features of a photo you would expect to see in a rock/indie magazine, to connote that the band are really something "unique" within the rock industry. The members are generally positioned the same to connote that they are all viewed as equals. Again, eyeline match is used to create a personal connection with the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment